Wednesday, October 28, 2020

To summarize the particles

Reference


To summarize:

1. What determines how each part of a sentence relates to the verb:


2.Particle summary list

Particle

Function

Example

Translation

Interchangeable Particles 

は

Topic

あした は あめ です

As for tomorrow, it will rain.

 

 can be replaced with ”が”

See detail about  は VS が

Contrast

にほん は あめ じゃないです

 

As for Japan, it will not rain.

Implies it rains somewhere.


も

Inclusion

アメリカ も あめ じゃないです

As for the US, it will not rain, too.

 

Surprise

10じかん も あめ でした

It rained (surprisingly) for 10 hours.

 

 

が

Subject of Predicate

あめ が つめたいです

 Rain is cold.

 can be replaced with ”は”

See detail about  は VS が

Object of Emotion

あめ が きらいです

Rain is the one that I dislike.

 can be replaced with ”は”

See detail about  は VS が

Object of Potential

 

にほんご が はなせます

 

I can speak Japanese.

 

  can be replaced with ”は”

See detail about  は VS が

New Information

あめ が ふっています

It is raining

 can be replaced with ”は”

See detail about  は VS が

Identifier

だれ が きますか?

Who will come (transportation)?

 

を

Direct Object

ケーキ を たべる

[I will] eat cake.

 

Location to Leave

 

いえ を でます

 

[I will] leave my house.

 

can be replaced with ”から”

Location to Pass

 

はし を わたります

 

[I will] cross the bridge.

 

 

Direction of Action

みぎ を むきます

[I will] turn right. 

 

に

Location of Existence

いえ に います

[I] am in [my] house.

 

 

 

Direction of Motion

 

 

きた に むかいます

 

[I will] head to the north.

 

 

 

Destination

がっこう に いきます

 

[I will] go to school.

 

can be replaced with ”まで”

Target (Indirect Object)

 

せんせい に あいます

 

[I will] meet [my] teacher.

 

 

Source

おかね を ともだち に

かります

[I will] borrow money from [my] friend.

can be replaced with ”から”

Specific Time

 

6じ に おきます

[I will] wake up at 6.

 

Notion of Per

1っしゅうかん に 

5かい はたらきます

I work 5 times a week

 

へ

Direction of Motion

みなみ へ むかいます

I will] head to the south.

can be replaced with ”に”

Destination

アメリカ へ いきます

[I will] go to the US.

と

Partner of Interaction

 

かのじょ と けっこんします

 [I will] get married to [my] girlfriend. 

 

Object of Similarity / Difference

ちち と にている

[I] resemble my father. 

 

で

Location of Action

いえ で ねます

[I will] sleep in [my] house.

 

Material

 

 

き で いえ を つくります

 

[I will] make a chair by [using] wood.

can be replaced with ”から”

Means or method

タクシー で いきます

 

[I will] go by taxi.

 

Reason (Causation)

びょうき で ねむい

[I] am sleepy due to sickness.

 

Range (Period of Time)

 

1じかん で とうちゃくします

I'll arrive in an hour

 

 

Amount

 ひとり で はたらく

[I will] work alone.

 

State

はだし で あるく 

[I will] walk with bare feet.

 

から

Starting Point

とうきょう から しゅっぱつ する

[I will] depart from Tokyo.

 

can be replaced with ”を”

Source

はは から ききました

[I] heard [it] from my mother

can be replaced with ”に”

Raw Material

 

 

ぶどう から ワイン を つくります

 

[I will] make wine from grapes

 

 

can be replaced with ”で”

State Before Change

あか から あお に かわります

[It will] change from red to blue.

 

まで

Ending Point

よる まで はたらく

 [I will] work until night.

 


は VS が

Basic usage

【は】is the topic right after【は】, and 【が】is the subject right before【が】

1.     彼(かれ)は学生(がくせい)です (Student is topic)

2.     彼(かれ)が学生(がくせい)です (He is subject)

3.     今日(きょう)は天気(てんき)がいい (Topic is today, weather is subject)

 

More detail  

1.     【が】has the nuance of telling new information to the listener.

Example: きのう、私(わたし)の友達(ともだち)がうちに来ました(きました) My friend came to me yesterday

 

2.     【が】is used Noun modification これは私(わたし)が東京(とうきょう)で買った(かった)時計(とけい)です This is the watch I bought in Tokyo

 

3.      は is Used for Contrast

 

【は】is sometime used to emphasize a specific one among other things.

 

For example, let's say you like only apples among fruits.

In this case, It's better to say that リンゴは好き  rather than リンゴが好きですto emphasize you can only eat apples among the fruits.


が  VS  を

 

When words such as「好き」「きらい」「できる」「たい」「ほしい」,that express states such as likes and dislikes, ability and hope are used in the predicate, and 【を】can be replaced.

 

1.      わたしは彼(かれ)(が/を)好き I like him

2.      わたしは犬(いぬ)が好き(すき)

※You can use 【が】to express  preference  for things and animals, and you can use 【が/を】 to express the feelings of likes and dislikes for people.

3.      わたしは英語(えいご)(が/を)読(よ)める I can read English

4.      わたしはすし(が/を)食(た)べたい I want to eat sushi

5.      わたしは時間(じかん)(が/を)ほしい  I want time ※It is common to use【が】

 

When a state or adjective word becomes a predicate, and 【を】can be replaced. When a behavioral or verb-like word becomes a predicate, 【を】is selected.

For example, if you replace it with a word that strengthens the movement, such as 【ほしがる】, it is unnatural to replace it with 【が】

「だれでも,金(きん)メダルをほしがる」"Everyone wants a gold medal"

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

「なくて」VS「ないで」

  V stem+ ないで   V stem+ なくて 1 じょうきょう condition 朝ごはんを食べないで学校へ来ました。 I came to school w...