Monday, December 14, 2020

かどうか(N4)

 Meaning: whether or not~.

How to use

examples

Translation

Verb

Short form

+かどうか

いく かどうか あとでしらせます

I'll let you know later if I'm going or not.

いadj

おいしい かどうか わからない

I don't know if it's delicious

なadj

にほんじん が しんせつ かどうか わからない

I don't know if the Japanese are kind

かれが げんきじゃなかったかどうか おぼえていない

I don't remember if he wasn't fine

Noun

あしたが やすみか かどうかかくにんして

Check if tomorrow is a holiday

きけんな くに かどうか しんぱい です

I'm worried if it's a dangerous country

 

About Particle か

 

Note:The particle 【か】is added to the end of a question or has the meaning of【or】, but other than that, It is used to express something unknown or undecided to someone at some point in the past, present, or future.

  

 

1.     “Question words + か” expresses unspecified things, e.g. “something.”

1-1           なにか たべましたか? Did you eat something?

 

2.     “Question words + some elements + か + particle” makes a noun clause.

どう

勉(べん)強(きょう)するか

が

大切(たいせつ)です

Adverb(Question word)

Verb + か

Particle

 

Noun clause: Subject

Predicate

How to study is important.

 

※when the particle が and を are placed in this formation, they are often omitted.

どんな人(ひと)かを説明(せつめい)します。 

[I] will explain what kind of person [he/she] is.

値(ね)段(だん)がいくらかは大切(たいせつ)じゃないです。 

As for how much the price is, [it] is not important.

いつ着(つ)くかがわかりません。 

[I] don’t know when [I] will arrive.

 

3.     “…かどうか” and “…か…か” expresses “whether” in Japanese.

雨(あめ)が

降(ふ)るかどうか

を

調(しら)べます

Subject

Verb + かどうか

Particle

 

Noun clause : Object

Verb

[I will] check whether it will rain or not.

 

Also,【のか】may be used instead of 【か】, but the meaning is the same.

Just as【のだ】 is used instead of 【だ】,【のか】is used when you want to emphasize. like:雨あめが降ふる(の)かどうかを調べます

Exercises 

Genki2 

Genki 2 work book


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

「なくて」VS「ないで」

  V stem+ ないで   V stem+ なくて 1 じょうきょう condition 朝ごはんを食べないで学校へ来ました。 I came to school w...