Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Other particles ( も and(final particles)か、ね、よ)

Particle  

I will explain another particle” ”. We learned how to say," Item A is this, item B is that." We now learn how to say " Item A is this, and item B is this, too" .

 

わたし  にほんじんです。   I am Japanese.

あなた  にほんじんです。   You are Japanese too.

 

Note that these 2 sentences are almost identical in shape. This is natural, as they both claim that a certain person is Japanese. 

The second sentence, however, is different from the first in that we do not find the particle "" in it. We have” ” instead.” ” is a particle that indicates that that item, too, has the given property. One thing that you should watch out for is exactly where the particle is placed. In English, the word " too" can be placed after the sentence, as in the example above. Not so in Japanese. In the above example,” ” must directly follow "You".

 

A

X

です

A is X.

B

X

です

B too is X.

↑      

2items  Shared property

 

You can also use  when 2 or more people performe the same activity.


わたし  きのう がっこう に いきました I went to school yesterday. 

わたし の おとうと  きのう がっこう に いきました My brother went to

school yesterday, too. 


Or when someone buys, sees, or eats (etc) 2 or more things.

 

わたし

くつ

かいました。

I bought shoes.

わたし

かばん

かいました

I bought a bag, too.

 

You can also use も when you go to 2 places, do something on 2 different occasions, and so forth. 

We put  after the particle ""  "” ””in these sentences. More generally, particles other that """"and "" are used together with ""rather than being replaced by it. 

 

わたし は せんしゅう

がっこう

いきました。

I went to school last week.

 

かいしゃ

にも

いきました。

I went to office, too

  

わたしは

げつようび

がっこう

いきました。

I went to school Monday

 

かようび

にも

がっこう

いきました。

I went to school Tuesday, too.

 

わたしは

がっこう

べんきょうしました

I studied at school.

 

うち

でも

べんきょうしました

I studied at home, too.

 

わたしは

ともだち

べんきょうしました

I studied with (my) friends

 

おとうと

とも

べんきょうしました

I studied with (my) brother, too.

 

As you notice, the particle "" learned in last page can be alternative way to say the same meaning sentence by connecting nouns, like this:

 

わたし は せんしゅう

がっこう

いきました。

I went to school last week.

 

かいしゃ

にも

いきました。

I went to office, too

         
         ↓

 

わたし は せんしゅう

がっこう

かいしゃ

いきました。

I went to school last week.

 

 



 

 final particles か、ね、よ、の

By adding the final particle, the sentence function, meaning, and nuance are change.

 

Final particle か

It is very easy to form questions in Japanese. Basically, all you need to do is add” ” at the end of a statement.

  

あなた は がくせいです ? Are you a student?

 

Please note in casual conversation, the particle "(な)” or are used instead of the particle "” as in あなたは がくせい なの?

 

The other example using the particle “

·        どうした? What’s the matter?

·        どこいる?  Where are you?

·        いい?  Is this ok?

 

In other my articles, you will be practicing Casual/Plain/Short form. In that point, let's practice how to ask question in casual form questions in more detail.

Next, let me talk about the particle “

 

 : seeking for agreement or confirming a statement of listener's. It is a very common particle to end a sentence. It’s used at the end of a sentence to seek confirmation, but it’s different from ””in that it’s not outright asking a question.

 

At its most basic,  and  are spoken with a rising intonation.

 

 is A softer, lowering intonation invites agreement.

  

Seeking confirmation 

·        あなた は がくせいです? You are a student, right?

 

Seeking Agreement

·        さむいですね‼ It’s cold! 

·        あの はな は きれいです That flower is beautiful. (is that?)

 

Another particle  (”I tell tou" ), is added to statement if the speaker wants to assure the listener of what has been said.

 

すし は にほんしょく です。(Let me assure youShushi is Japanese food. 

 

 

Review Exercise

 

A)    Please translate the sentences. You can fid the answer at the bottom.

 

1.     Ms. Tanaka is Japanese. Mr. Yoshida is Japanese, too

2.     Ms. Tanaka is 20 years old. Mr. Yoshida is 20 years old, too.

3.     This dictionary is 2,000 yen. That dictionary is 2,000, too.

4.     This is my bicycle. That is my bicycle, too.

5.     I drink tea. I drink coffee, too. 

 

B)    Please translate the sentences. You can fid the answer at the bottom.

1.     I will eat lunch with Mary. I will eat lunch with Mike, too.

2.     I ate sushi in Tokyo. I ate sushi in Kyoto, too.

3.     Sue bought souvenirs at a temple. She bought souvenirs at a department store, too.

4.     I took pictures at school yesterday. I took pictures at home, too.

 

C)    Please translate the sentences. You can fid the answer at the bottom. 

1.     It is rain tomorrow, right?

2.     Let me assure youIt will be rain tomorrow.

3.     Do you like dogs?

4.     You must be Mary.


ANSWER 

A. 

1.      たなかさん は にほんじん です。よしださん  にほんじん です。

2.      たなかさん は 20さいです。 よしだ さん  20さいです。

3.      この じしょ は 2000 えん です。あの じしょ  2000えん です。

4.      これ は わたし の じてんしゃ です。 あれわたし の じてんしゃ です

5.      わたし は おちゃ を のみます。 わたし は コーヒー  のみます

B. 

1.      わたし は Mary と ちゅうしょく を たべます。 Mike  ちゅうしょく を たべます。 

2.      わたし は とうきょう で すし を たべました。 わたし は きょうと すし を たべました。 

 

3.      Mary は かんこく に いきます。 かのじょ は ちゅうごく  いきます。

4.      みちこ は きんようび

に ハンバーガー を たべました。かのじょ は どようび  ハンバーガー を たべました 

C. 

1.     あした、あめです

2.     あした、あめです

3.     いぬ が すきです

4.     あなた は Mary です

No comments:

Post a Comment

「なくて」VS「ないで」

  V stem+ ないで   V stem+ なくて 1 じょうきょう condition 朝ごはんを食べないで学校へ来ました。 I came to school w...